Dr. T.G. Govindarajan, Managing Director – Chairman
Dr. T.G. Govindarajan, the promoter of the hospital, belongs to a family of entrepreneurs. After graduating from Kilpauk Medical College in the year 1977, he served for three years as a Medical Officer for a clinic catering exclusively to the medical needs of shipping companies. Even during the nascent stage of his career, he had dreamt of establishing a hospital of his own.
In the late 70′s access to even the basic medical facilities was grossly inadequate or non-existent in many localities except in cities and their immediate neighbourhood. This presented him with a wonderful opportunity of realizing his dream of setting up a hospital and serve the needy.
An outpatient clinic was started along with his wife Dr. (Late) G. Kamakshi Sundari. From that point onwards, their practice grew by leaps and bounds. This was possible only because of their devotion and dedication to their profession.
His dream of having a medium sized hospital was realized when Lakshmi Nursing Home was established at Pallavaram (outskirts of Chennai) in the year 1988.
Dr. Govindarajan’s guiding principle regarding medical practice has been and continues to be that all our people must have access to basic medical facilities and the latest in medicare .Medical facilities in our country should develop both in range and quality so as to obviate the need to travel abroad for advanced medical care.
CURRENT POSITION(S) HELD
- Advisor: Dr.Kamakshi Memorial Hospital, Pallikaranai, Chennai-100.
- Professor Emeritus: The TamilNadu Dr.M.G.R Medical University.
- Member: State Blood Transfusion Council
- Professor Emeritus: Department of Transfusion Medicine, Vinayaka Mission University Salem.
- Honorary state Professor: IMA CGP TN STATE
- Professor and Head Department of Transfusion Medicine.
- The Tamil Nadu Dr.M.G.R Medical University, Guindy, Chennai-600032.
- Additional Director of medical Education & State, Transfusion Officer, Govt. of Tamil nadu.
- First project Leader, State AIDS Project Cell in the Rank of Additional Director, Govt. of Tamil Nadu.
- Professor of Blood Transfusion, Kilpauk Medical College & Stanley Medical College, Chennai.
- Civil Surgeon, primary Health Centers, Govt. Of Tamil Nadu, Officer In-Charge, Clinical Lab, Govt. Royapettah Hospital.
- Instrument for Instituting Post graduate Degree course – MD immune Haematology and Blood Transfusion at the Tamil Nadu Dr.MGR Medical University recognized by MCI, which is first of its kind in Southern Parts of India.
- Blood Bank Experts in the Joint inspection Committee, Govt. of India.
- Member, Technical Resource Group for Blood Safety, Tamil Nadu.
- AIDS Control Society, Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of Tamil Nadu.
- Member, Red Cross Blood Bank Sub Committee.
- President of Indian Society of Blood Transfusion & Immuno Haematology for 2 consecutive terms (years).
- Non-Official Member, National AIDS Committee.
- Visiting Professor, Blood Transfusion Medicine in Medical Colleges (under the Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University) Govt. of Tamil Nadu.
- Member, Experts Committee for the introduction of a new course M.D Transfusion Medicine in the Tamil Nadu Dr.M.G.R Medical University.
- Consultant, Tamil Nadu AIDS Control Society in setting up of Central Blood Bank at Chennai.
- Organizing Secretary of 20th Annual Conference Life & Blood Transfusion & Immuno Haematology.
- Member, International Society of Blood Transfusion.
- Life Member, The Indian Society of Blood Transfusion & Immuno Haematology.
- Member, Blood Bank Advisory Committee, Tamil Nadu AIDS Control Society.
- Life Member, Indian Red cross Society.
- Member Regional Blood Transfusion Council, Tamil Nadu.
- Foreign Member, American Association of Blood Banks.
- Life Member, Indian Medical Association (Assistant Secretary- Chennai South).
- Organizer for Training programme in Blood Transfusion for Medical officers, Lab Technicians & Counselors.
- Participated in various National Conferences all over the country on Blood Transfusion & Immuno Haematology.
- Resource person for the training programme – Physician responsible for treating HIV/AIDS patients.
- Participated in Workshops on Quality Control in Blood banking, NIB, Govt. of India.
INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOPS PARTICIPATED
- Inter country workshop on Prevention of AIDS at Bali, Indonesia.
- WHO observer for the Distant Learning Programmer in Blood Transfusion at Harara, Zimbabwe.
- International Conference at Baltimore, USA (American Association of Blood Banks)
- International conference of international Society of Blood Transfusion at Bangkok, Thailand.
- Teacher for Undergraduate medical students, Kilpauk Medical College, Chennai.
- Teacher for Undergraduate, Post-graduate Students and doctors, Stanley Medical College, Chennai.
- Teacher for Undergraduate, Post-graduate Students and doctors, King Institute, Chennai.
- Teacher for Post-graduate students in Transfusion medicine at the TamilNadu Dr. MGR Medical University.
BOOKS AUTHORED & EDITED
- Contributed topic “Component Therapy” for Advances in Paediatrics Published by Indian Journal of Paediatrics.
- Organisational set up of Blood Transfusion Service.
- Information on Donor Motivation. M
- Study on needs, collection and usage of blood in the city of Chennai.
- Training Manual for Blood Bank Medical officers.
- Component Preparation and its usage.
- “Training and Education in Transfusion Medicine” Paper presented at the XXXI st International Congress of the International Society of Blood Transfusion at Berlin, Germany.
- “Donor Recruitment, Motivation and Retention Few Problems in developing Countries” Presented at the XVI th Regional Congress of the International Society of Blood Transfusion at Bangkok Thailand
- Blood Group Serology.
- Prevalence of HbsAg Amongst Voluntary Blood Donors.
- Contributed in the Promotion of Voluntary Blood Donors.
- Pioneer in screening for various transmissible diseases especially screening for HbsAg & HIV in the Blood Bank itself.
- Government roll in promoting Voluntary Blood Donors.
- Prevalence of Blood group distribution in diabetic patients.
- Sexually transmitted disease services in Madras: Could their role in AIDS prevention strengthened?